My recipe for potato kale soup is adapted from this Zuppa Toscana recipe to which I’ve made some modifications and changed to be vegetarian. It makes a beautiful fall or late fall soup, especially around Samhain.
– 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
– 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (or red pepper flakes)
– 3 cloves of garlic minced (or pre-crushed garlic)
– 1 1/2 small onions, diced
– 7 cups of vegetable stock (I use bouillon cubes and make the stock beforehand)
– 3 small russet potatoes, halved and thinly sliced
– 2-3 heaping cups of kale, chopped (I tear it into bite-sized pieces by hand)
– 3/4 cup heavy cream
– dash of salt/pepper if desired
Add olive oil, onions, garlic, and red pepper to a pot and turn to medium heat. Cook for around 5 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent, stirring often. Add vegetable stock, onions, and kale and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium again. Cook until the potatoes are tender, around 10 minutes depending on how they were sliced. Turn off heat and add heavy cream, stir, and serve.