I’m super excited to announce that I’ve released my first witchcraft zine: Astra Anima’s Grimoire.
Issue #1: Protection & Reflection is a collection of spells, tools, and research on those two topics.
I’m a zinester from way back, so for me this is a return to my roots. My dad was a pretty well known figure in zines and underground comix in the 70s, and he got me into zines as a child. I published my first zine at the age of 7 and have published probably around 70 zines in my lifetime, including a long-running zine about my personal life that I wrote in High School (so cringy now).
Some of the spells in Issue #1 are revised and updated versions of articles that appear on this blog, while others are brand new and will never be published online. All told there are 5 protection/reflection magickal spells, 3 resource lists, and a further reading section.
The contents, in order, are:
- Tourmaline Spell to Return Negativity
- Sage Spell for Eliminating Negativity (preview shown below)
- Witch Tips: Crystals for Protection (preview shown below)
- How to Make & Use Cascarilla
- Witch Tips: Deities & Spirits for Protection
- Pillow Spell for Ending Bad Dreams
- Evil Eye Jewelry Enchantment
- Witch Tips: Plants and Trees for Protection
- Bibliography & Recommended Reading
2017 was my second year writing here on Astra Anima; I wrote for much of the Spring, took some time off over the Summer, (thankfully) found my muse again, and returned to writing in the Fall. This year I feel like I figured out my voice, both in the sense of what I wanted to write, and how I wanted to write it.
Much of the information that I post here is information that goes straight into my own magickal diary: recipes I cook in my own kitchen, information that I’ve researched, and spells that I’ve performed myself (and that have worked). Writing here gives me a better understanding of my own path and makes me a better witch; that you want to read it too is such an honor to me.
Below you will find the eight most popular posts on the blog this year, as well as my eight personal favorites. At the bottom of the page is a look forward to 2018.
Top 8 Articles
- A Witch’s Guide to Starting Your Grimoire and/or Book of Shadows
- A Witch’s Guide to Organizing Your Grimoire and/or Book of Shadows
- Simple Kitchen Witch Coffee Spell
- Eight Samhain Season Celebration Ideas
- Full Moon December 3rd 2017 in Gemini
- Thoughts on Mercury Retrograde 4/28/16 – 5/22/16
- Self-Love and Acceptance Spell
- Crystal Closeup: Citrine
I thought it would be nice to end 2016 by posting a year in review for the Astra Anima blog, which I really started writing for in February 2016. It wasn’t until October that I really figured out what I wanted the blog to “be,” and after that point posts became way more frequent and focused. Below are my 18 favorite posts from the year, broken into categories.